In the event of a Gas Emergency
If you either smell gas or are concerned about a gas safety matter you should contact the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 immediately - calls are free and advice is available 24/7.
At the time of your call to the emergency services you will be required to provide the following information:
- site address where the emergency is located
- number of people at the site
- where you can smell gas
- your name and contact number
- any other circumstances or access details to the site
You should also ensure that you:
- turn off the gas supply at the emergency control valve by the meter (it is usually turned off when the handle is at a right angle to the pipe)
- open all doors and windows
- do not use any naked flames and avoid using electrical switches
In the event of a power cut, the National Grid site will help you to identify the DNO you need to contact. Should you have multiple sites you will need to contact the DNO(s) for each the sites affected.
We recommend that you register with the National Gas Emergency Service Twitter at:> National Grid Twitter